Our School and Community
Putorino School is a small rural school, 58 km north of Napier, just off State Highway 2.
Pūtōrino was originally a Māori settlement at the mouth of the Waikari River, at an important stopping point for canoes, whalers, coastal traders and other travellers who walked or rode the early tracks. It became a European settlement in the 1860s, and around 1900 moved inland to the main Napier to Wairoa Road in the early 20th century, bypassing the Waikari River Mouth. In 1902, the Waikare Hotel opened for business at the new settlement of Putorino, 12km from the river mouth. Today there is a large sporting complex, volunteer fire brigade and primary school.